Pages

Saturday, May 09, 2009

i tell time by which workout i've completed

so my jaw is still hurting which is shit to the power of bull. i hope it goes away soon because its on the old side of things. last saturday we did a swim clinic. i was helping to run it and i even gave someone some helpful advice! i was super excited to help out since we had hired my old neighbor that had helped me with my stroke a few months ago and she is awesome. it was also interesting to stand on the pool deck and watch the people swim. it gave a new perspective of when the swim coach stands there and talks to me in masters. it wound up getting warm and sunny and the water looked really nice, i was ready to jump right in but of course did not.
right after a few of us met up at sseatac to preride for sunday's race. it instantly starting dumping down cats and dogs and we were soaked. in a matter of minutes there were huge puddles every there. i was worried that it was going to turn into a repeat of the previous week. the course wasn't marked but a guy we were with had an idea of what it might be. both he and amy did my 3 minute intervals and then we were headed out.
sunday we got up and hung around waiting to head to the race. we gathered everything up, got there, registered and then seamus and sirus raced in the kids race! they did great! i also found amy who came in 2nd and sara who had raced her first ever race! then i headed out to warm up. i started out on a lap and was just riding along stepping up the pace a few times. the course was a lot like what we had done the day before. i didn't want to be out too long but wound up out for 25 minutes. went to staging and the race start was delayed 1/2 hr. long story short, i had a terrible start and went into the single track close to the back but i gradually passed people as time went on. i felt like i was riding fast which was awesome! it was pretty warm out, about 63 which is pretty warm for us right now and i went through my entire bottle of drink. i could have used more. i finished up in 4th not too far off 3rd and 2nd. i had convinced lisa to go runnign with me, so we put on our shoes and headed out for a 1/2 hr. i was dying. although I kept thinking about the run while I was racing, I tried to not let it affect how hard I went during the race. but the run was tough. it was all slightly downhill for the first half then we turned around and came back up hill.
as soon as we got back i changed my clothes, no stretching allowed and headed into down town seattle to see walking with the dinosaurs. totally bad ass and very cool. the kids loved it. the next day they went through their dinosaur toys and picked out all the ones they had seen at the show.

monday was a rest day. work i think was uneventful but i really can't remember. tuesday i did a 1/2 hr swim at lunch time which was actually pretty nice. i was supposed to go easy but i went hard and i spent most of my time practicing breathing on the left. later at the end of the day i did a 1/2 hr run on the treadmill. i haven't been on the treadmill in forever so I was pretty suprised that i kept an 8:34 pace while staying in zone 2. whoohoo!
when i got home eric had made some awesome mini pizzas. we ate about 100 of them. that night i was exhasted so i went to bed early only to wake up 2 hrs later with my neck in extreme pain, my quads and hammys aching, my feet killing me and just overall oveheating. i made my way to the freezer, grabbed some ice packs and got back in bed. i was instantly asleep again, al cuddled up with the ice. i was wide awake at 4 but waited until 5 to get up. it had been raining all night and was still pouring so i opted for the indoor pool. i did my own workout again, practicing left side breathing. i was supposed to do the wednesday night race but since i felt like such ass i did a 50 minute zn1 spin on the trainer later that night. eric too had felt like ass so we think maybe the pepperoni or maybe the ham we put on the pizzas was bad. eric did suggest that maybe we just ate way too many of them. no that couldn't have been it.
i had been waiting al week for thursday - my very first track workout. i was to do 15' warm up, then 3x1 mile in zn4 with 1 lap rest inbetween and then 15 minute cool down. the fast runner guy at work suggested a track right by our house and even gave me some tips to get through the gate if it was closed. i headed out from the house and ran down there in zn 2. it took about 13.5 minutes so i went around the track and stopped at the bathrooms. i stopped the clock until i was almost at the line and then i was off on my first 1 mile. i had no idea what to expect. i started out going strong and it took a bit to get up to zn4. but i got there and was done with lap 1. the guy at work predicted 2minute laps. i did that first one in 1:27. i instantly did the math and was like - NO WAY! then i started hitting zn5 and my arms felt heavy and were going to fall off. i backed off since i was supposed to stay zn4. the laps flew by although they never again were as fast as that first one. I finished the mile in 6:57. then i slowed waaay down to rest. i was going sooo slow but i was so happy to do it. runner guy suggested that my rest should last about 1/2 the time of my mile. my coach said to only do one lap, so that worked out to some slooow laps. it all worked well because by the time I started the 2nd one i was ready to go. once again, it look almost 1/2 lap to get to zn 4 but then i stuck there pretty well, hitting zn5 occasionally so I had to drop back. the sky was getting dark and it was starting to get a bit windy so I was getting concerned but i finished in 7:06. rest rest rest with a trip over to the water fountain. then off for the 3rd one. look me 1/2 lap to get to zn 4 but i don't think i ever hit zn 5 this time around. the middle two laps were super windy, the one time on the straight away i was convinced i wasn't moving anywhere. but the laps still went by quickly and i was done in 7:09. rest rest rest and the thought of asking eric to come pick me up crossed my mind. i was shot and my legs and knees hurt. but i headed home and i felt pretty good. funny thing is that the whole thing took 1:00:35 and i went 7.00 miles. how'd that work out so well?
friday's swim went well although we did sprints. when i told the swimmer guy at work that we were doing 75yd sprints he looked at me funny and said that sprints are normally like 25yd. well, we were doing 75 and i was dying. i was a little frustrated because i had counted up my yardage and thought I had only done 1900 and was totally beat. but when i finally got to write it all down it came in at 2400 so i felt way better.

and NOW its saturday, SUNNY and eric and i are heading out mtn biking later today!

No comments: