Pages

Friday, December 03, 2010

M to the R to the I

i went for an xray on my wrist the other day. the people are so funny. they just look at me and are like, whats wrong with you? i tell them my wrist hurts and then they just look at me funny. i wonder if its because when i go in for stuff i am walking and talking? there was the time eric tried to kill me by feeding me salmon that still had bones in it. i was 8 weeks pregnant with sirus and there i was eating this amazing salmon when i totally started choking. it was terrible. i remember gagging and gagging and eric just sitting there, not even paying attention. i went into the bathroom because i was sure i was going to puke but instead i just gagged and gagged and my eyes were burning and watering and my mascara was all down my face. finally i composed myself a bit and asked eric to keep an eye on me all night, ya know, in case i died. in the morning a friend at work convinced me to call the doctor who told me to go to the ER right away, so I did. they did that horrible horrible thing where they shove the scope up yer nose and down yer throat but they couldn't see anything. even tho i was all preggo they did an xray which turned out to be an adventure. the girl doing it was new or something and someone said to double me up on lead barriers since i was pregnant, so i had on the normal apron like thing then she took this lead sheet like thing and rolled me up in it all burrito style. when the first person came back, they were just like, oh, ok, i guess that will work. anyway, they went on to take a billion xrays because the lady kept putting in slides that had no film in them or something like that. and once the ER doctor took a look at the xrays he came rushing in, OMG how are you not just screaming in pain! you have a 2 inch bone vertically wedged in your throat, OMG, why can't we see it? so they called in the ENT doctor to take a look. everyone who came into check on me was just like WTF, you have a fishbone stuck in your throat and yer just hanging out? so the ENT doctor and i looked at the xray together, he made a funny face and then i said - that's not a bone! that is my retainer! but then he found the bone on the xray, they took it back to the radiologist to confirm and then yeah, it was small, but it was stuck in there. the ENT dr insisted on putting the damn scope up my nose again but then they put me under general anethetic and went in to get the bone out. but alas, it wasn't there! they saw where it had been but it was gone by the time all was said and done. when i was getting prepped to go in for "surgery" i asked if i could keep my clothes on. they said sure, and i told them while i was starting to get all happy that i was going to be really pissed if i didn't have my pants on when i woke up. sure enough when i was being wheeled into recovery and was starting to wake up i heard one of the nurses ask "why does she have pants on?" people coming out of "surgery" and general anesthetic, normally don't have on pants i guess. i won't even go into how eric went to the wrong hospital when he came to pick me up and wound up driving all over the place in the middle of the night or how he always has to one up me.
so on friday i went in for an MRI on my hand. the people were nice but at the same time, totally like what's wrong with you? dude, my wrist really hurts! really it does. i haven't ever had an MRI so it was a little exciting but scary, too. i got to wear all my normal clothes but had to take off all of my jewels and assure them any lotions or makeup did not have any silver in it. i had to wear ear plugs, and lay on my stomach with my hand above my head. then in went my hand and head! dude, it was really freaking loud and would get louder and then louder at times, too. and it kept going on and on. what i don't understand is why does something that is so amazingly high tech live in a room that looks like a storage closet and why can't they make it not so loud? really, what is all that noise about?
on monday i got an email from my doctor with the results - a tear in the cartilage and a cyst all up in there somewhere. along with this was a referral to a hang surgeon. yikes! no me gusta! so of course i started doing all kinds of research on the things that were wrong and saw all kinds of horrible horrible photos and read many horrible stories about botched surgeries and such. so not cool!
so on friday i'll go see what is up with all of that. yikes!!!

2 comments:

Janet said...

You write the best stories. I love the image of you in a lead apron. So, did they get the fish bone out or did it work its way out on its own? That's the confusing part for me.

I hope everything will go well with your hand. Travis had a cyst in his hand, and they said they could just go in and drain it without major mucking around in there. I hope it is a simple, non-invasive fix!!

LaVonne said...

It must have taken you FOREVER to take off all your jewels.