Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

12.5 is the new 26

update from the nookachamps race - i came in 49:44, so that is over a minute faster then my previous 10k pr so i am pretty stoked about that and i came in top 10 overall women, that is if you kick the overall woman out. and i wsa top 4 in my age group, once again if you kick that overall woman out. good times even if it left me in the terrible mess i was last week. i didn't mention that in that last post where i had ice cream for lunch followed by crap and more tasty crap that eirc went and got us a pint of ben and jerry's cheesecake icecream that night and the grahm cracker crust pieces in there are just a little bit salty and i love'em so i had to consume my fair share.

i broke the fast i was having from exercising on saturday. i went for a run in the pooring rain. pooring. cats and dogs. i was only planning on 1/2 hr but after a while i was feeling good and the routes never work out quite right so i wound up going almost 5 miles at a whopping 8:16 pace.

saturday night we invited feather and dave and starla over for a rock band party. good fun right there. feather is quite the singer and we went on tour making it all the way to LA.

sunday, oh glorious sunday. we loaded all the kids into the trailer and we went for a family bike ride on my fancy NEW BIKE. i become very attached to my bikes, my first mountain bike is still in the garage. eric is going to poach all the parts from my old trusty cannondale.
but this bike was a long time coming. i couldn't believe what it felt like to ride a new bike. despite not having ridden since august i wasn't hurting. and shifting! it was like butta, let me tell you. hopefully this ride leads to many, many more, much longer rides this summer. big goals for 2008 require big miles. after we came home did some trailer to stroller transformation and went out for a family jog.
i took seamus to a birthday party in the afternoon. it was so fun!! seamus is so funny. within 10 minutes of getting there she collided with another little girl. seamus came out of that one ahead since the other wound up with a bloody nose, but all in all it was a good party.
this morning i did something interesting. always wondering what is going on with my body and my fitness, i read that there was hydrostatic body fat testing happening at the gym near my work. so of course i signed up. way back in the olden days of my moutain bike racing career i did a vo2max test and the electric whatever testing done. i hooked up with a facility who was just getting their systems set up so they hooked me up in exhange for being their test subject. anyway. back then i tested at 17%. i was about 20 pounds heavier i think but i was riding my bike for 2 or more hours EVERY day. i was unemployed at the time too so that helped the situation. i didn't really understand the whole body fat thing back then and that 17% was actually quite good despite my bubble butt. i then retired from mountain bike racing to pursue making money. my fat, or should i say lean mass suffered. my bubble butt deflated and was flat as a pancake. then by golly i had some babies. after the second one came out i went right to brookstones and got one of those body fat scales. despite having just given birth two weeks earlier and having monsterous size DD boobs, i was only slightly alarmed to see 33% on that scale. eventually all the baby weight came off and an additional 20 pounds but my fat was still at 26%. was i really 1/4 fat? i always thought i was leaner then that but who the hell knows. so today i went and did one of the scariest things i have ever done. at 6:48 AM i went into the back of a truck, stripped to my swim suit, put a weight over my lap, pushed all the air out of me and layed down in some warm water. it was creepy and weird and i was totally scared for my life. the dude was super nice and totally professional and the whole thing is rediculously safe but for some reason i was totally freaking out convinced that i was going to drown in that 6 inches of water. alas i did not. after two dunks and a compliment on how well i pushed all the air out of my system i was done. i didn't tell him that i was good at pushing out that air because that is also part of the pushing the baby out process and i have done some of that in my past. final reading: 12.5%. He suggested i toss out my scale, although he did say those scales are pretty accurate for weight, which i did agree with. after all this time not knowing, i think 12.5% is not enough and a little concerning to me, so i had to have some fritos for lunch and a nice cold beer after dinner to add a % or two.
i will not comment on how eric has been playing rock band for the past hour... he is on a solo world tour.

No comments: