Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

its hard for some people

now that i am no longer on Team LUNA Chix, I have been wondering what I will do with my copious free time.  so i have decided to start volunteering for an organization that helps people with brain tumors and their families in all kinds of ways.  they help them with everythign from finding the right doctors, figuring out their finances, researching treatment options, etc.  they do all kinds of good work.  i figured, what they hey, i'll see what i can do for them.

in my volunteer interview they asked for my resume and then started going through a list of projects they would like help with.  she was trying to pick out the exciting and interesting projects and i stopped her right there.  i was like, whoa there honey!  i think all day long at work.  give me something easy!  sign me up for the monotonous stuff that none of you want to do but need to get done.

so today was my first day and my first job was to make copies!  this was all very exciting until she asked me how proficient i was with a copier.  what?  WHAT?  ugh.  i am so not proficient with a copier!!  i had to push this button and that button, select color, select one to two sided, select two to two sided, black and white, click 1, 8 copies of that, 9 of that, click save, click enter, scan, flip, scan, print!  omg, don't forget to add the staple!!  i had to have her run me through it like 5 times, at which time i almost told her about my first job in seattle after college when i worked at the limited and could not FOR THE LIFE OF ME figure out the cash register!!  they put me at the register because i wasn't friendly enough to be out on the floor, but for some reason it was so complicated!  it was not intuitive at all.  there i was with my rediculously expensive fancy east coast college degree and i had an 18 yr old telling me "it's ok, its hard for some people." AND IT WAS HARD FOR ME!!!  after a few weeks they put me "on call" and then never called me.

luckily, after about the 4th time through how to use the copier, and me saying oh dear, yikes, and oh no a bunch of times, she did kind of joke - oh i hope this isn't hurting your brain tumor!, but omg, i was fighting back the PTSD of the Limited nightmare of 1996!!

but i copied and collated for an hour, only messing up twice!!  then i stuffed envelopes, and shredded documents.  yeah, that went well until i broke the shredder mid-shred.  it just stopped.  it wasn't jammed, i told her i think maybe it was over heated.  i had already emptied the shreds twice and made a mess all over the office, so i asked if there was a vacuum and went ahead and vacuumed the whole office.

and then i left.  and i will be back next week!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is funny!!! You were put on the cash register because you were not friendly enough for the floor? That is hysterical! But I really think you are friendly, so it surprises me a bit.