Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

friday - big day

after i get through this post about the big friday, actually its a big saturday, i will be mostly caught up with all the brain tumor stuff, that is until we get to july 5.  yikes!
but on this friday my mom came to visit me.  eric was heading out to race in the 24hr race and he was taking the kids.  i was in no shape to be left alone for the weekend, although i was feeling quite well.  should have known.
so it was a beautiful day.  my mom and i walked to the junior high and about 1/2 way around the track, turned around and headed home.  yay!  it was slow but it was nice to be outside when it was so nice out!
we came home, i probably napped.  i probably had some lunch.  who knows.i showered. i even shanve my legs which was a BIG DEAL since it had been a LONG TIME and i was a hairy beast. then i had some dinner.  all the girls from the LUNA team had been dropping off the most amazing meals since the surgery and for a few weeks past.  it was absolutely amazing and so generous of them!  it made everything easier and we cannot thank them enough. after dinner we went for another walk.  we walked down to this new housing development, not far at all from the house.  but we walked through it and then sat at a picnic table in their community park.  then we walked down the hill and through the trails through our neighborhood.  all the walking was helping my tail bone, oh it hurt so much!! 
but when we got home, i was like, whoa, yeah, i may have over done it. it was totally the leg shaving, i know it!! i layed on the couch,  my head kinda hurt.  i wanted to sleep but it was so early i was sure i'd never be able to nap then be able to get back to sleep for the rest of the night.  so i lay on the couch feeling a bit like arse.
all through the night i did not feel good.  not one bit.  as soon as i woke up, around 5am, i called the nurses hotline.  they were just like, dude, get yourself to the ER.  so mom and i got into the car and headed to the ER.
in my terrible state i had to give her directions, but luckily its near by and not difficult to get too.  its the same ER i went to the sunday before my surgery, no one was there when we arrived.  totally empty.  they took me right in.  again, they were all standing around, only this time i was like oh i just had a craniotomy.  again they all looked at each other and then 1/2 of them scattered and the rest went right into action.  this one nurse or whatever she was gave me and IV and wow, she totally manhandled me!  she kept telling me to relax my arm and i kept telling her she was hurting me!  she physically was pulling my arm down, i swear she was sitting on it, or leaning on it or something and it felt like she was popping that needling right through me!  gah!
then the dr came in i told him how i felt horrible and my head hurt and i felt nauseated although i hadn't puked at all. they decided to do a CT scan, which i was happy about.  the guy came to get me and was like, do you have any staples or anything and i was like yeah, and the nurse just looked at him like he was crazy.  she was like, yeah she had a craniotomy and he was like oh!  oh yes you due have staples don't you!  so he wheeled me in the bed to the CT scanner, i had to get up and move over and then i thot i was going to puke when the table moved up and into the machine and around.  then i got back onto the ER table and they took me back.  i was really not feeling well.  my poor mom, was just waiting for me the whole time in the little room.  i couldn't talk, well, i didn't want to.  i just wanted to lay there with my eyes closed and sleep.
eventually they came in and said my CT scan looked great but i had low sodium which may be what was causing some of the problems.  so they prescribed some anti-pukes and then some more pain medicine and said we could leave.  what???  i wanted to stay.  i wanted to stay until i was all better, until my brain and my head was all healed up.  but noooo, they kicked me to the curb and said leave!  go home!  call your doctor on monday.
so we left.  i heaved in the parking lot, but nothing came up.  i got in the car and we headed home.  mom found her way which was great and i was able to get into the house and up to the bathroom before the pukefest began.  and boy was it a puke fest.  but OMG!  i had never felt so amazingly well as i did once it was over.  i was like WOW!!  i feel like a million bucks!  lets go outside, lets run around!  lets go DO something.  ok, how about i go lay down for a bit.  and i did.  then a little later i got up and puked some more. and then again later.  and then again later.  we eventually got the antipuke medicine figured out and once i was taking that with just a little bit of applesauce i started to not puke so much.  thank goodness.  i was amazed at how much i was puking since i hadn't eaten or drank very much but it all kept coming.
thank goodness we got it under control.  but my poor mom!  she was amazing!  every time, she was right there with me, getting my wash clothes and water and taking such good care of me.
she got up every 4 hours through the night to help me take my anti pukes and by morning i was feeling much better but still pretty haggared.  sunday morning i weighed myself and i was down by about 5 pounds since friday morning, almost 11 pounds since my surgery.  i was weak and feeling small and frail but better than on saturday.  i stayed in bed all day.  i slept a ton.  my mom would come and hang out with me some but i was so tired i needed to sleep.  i also learned to eat everything while laying down on my side.  i ate eggs!  i ate pizza!  i ate an orange!  and a ton of applesauce.  it was so cool and wonderful with just a tiny bit of texture.  it was perfect!  i really did not want to sit up.  not at all.  my tailbone continued to hurt, and i kept saying to myself: i'd probably feel better if i sat up more.  i would sit up more if my tail bone didn't hurt so much.  my tail bone probably wouldn't hurt so much if i got up and walked around more.  i'd get up and walk around more if it didn't make me sick and want to throw up.  but before my mom left she made sure i was sitting up some.  i still didn't leave the bedroom though.  i didn't leave until probably monday afternoon!
eric and the kids came home later that night.  it was good to see them, but i was tired and didn't have much energy to be with them.  i had texted eric on saturday morning after we got back from the ER because i wanted him to know what happened but i didn't want him to come home poor guy had a 24hr race to do!  i was happy he stayed and raced.  i think it was good for him although i was worried he would come home and be totally exhausted.  but he seemed to recover pretty well and manage.  he is one impressive dude!!

1 comment:

LaVonne said...

I am laughing about your love of applesauce. How joyful you have rediscovered your love of it. I remember in the hospital when the nurse gave you your pills and you said "Can I have applesause to take them with?" and she said "Why, do you have trouble taking pills?", and you said "No, I just really like taking them with applesauce."