Pages

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

sunday & monday

trying to get caught up!  so much happened, including a ton of laying around!
on sunday i just chilled out at the hospital.  when i woke up in the morning i felt way better.  when the surgeon came to visit me, we had a long chat and he commented on how i looked so much better!  he and i talked a long time, i asked him how they shrunk my brain.  he said they used a medication that dehydrated it, he went on to say that it kind of just shrivels up, and then he back tracked and was like, well, not really shrivel.... each time i talked with the guy i liked him more.  he said it took about an hour to get into my head like that.
christie came to visit, she visited me every day!  she had even taken off from work on thursday and friday to be at the hospital with me which i can't thank her enough for!!  she also let eric use her house, which he did often since he would go out biking or running, which was good because he needed a break from all the quiet and sitting doing nothing! 
the occupational therapist came and helped me take a shower!  it had been so long and it felt so good!!  she washed my hair for me with hospital issued shampoo and she got most of the gore out which was fantastic!!  oh, i was clean!!  i was a whole new me!!!
eric was going to go home and sleep there on sunday night.  i was ok with that and thought it was a good idea for him.  but then i got a little sad when he was actually getting ready to leave.  but that is when janet and lavonne showed up!  hooray!!  they kept me entertained for quite a while!  they got to see my butt as i climbed out of bed and they were there with the PT came to get me to walk up and down stairs.  i did so well at PT that she changed the message on by board from "husband may walk with pt on unit" to include "& friends".  but we didn't walk any once i came back to the room.
on monday i woke up feeling pretty good - it was time to go home!  eric was going to bring sirus once sirus was out of school.  i was so excited!! when they got to the hospital, sirus was being all quiet.  nothing scary was going on but he hadn't been in a hospital to visit anyone before so i think he was just absorbing it.  to lessen the shock, American Pickers was on TV so he was able to watch that, which was nice since the nurse came in to take all my IV lines out.  wow!  it was so nice to have those gone, what a pain in the arse!!
i got dressed which was awesome!!  after so many days in just a hospital gown, underpants felt amazing!!  wow!!  they truely are something great!  i put on my yoga pants and the angry birds shirt sirus gave me for my birthday.  when the lady came to take me down to the lobby, sirus was extra concerned that she brought a wheelchair.  he wasn't so sure about that.  but he walked next to me and held my hand but was still super quiet.  we stopped at the hospital pharmacy and loaded up on drugs - something to keep my brain from swelling, some sort of antacid, 3 kinds of stool softners and laxitives (no straining!!!  can't do anything that could increase intercranial pressure!!  ICP!!) some anti pukers and some pain medication.  while we were waiting for eric to get the car, sirus held my hand and told me how nice it was to hold since it was so soft!  how sweet is that??
once in the car, the drive home seemed like forever.  there wasn't any traffic but i was afraid of getting sick, afraid of getting into an accident, and frankly pretty afraid of going home.
once we got home, i went straight into bed and slept.  eventually seamus came home from school, it was so good to see her!  she and sirus were quite wound up and made a ton of noise.  they weren't being bad, they were just being kids and playing, but even with the bedroom door shut it was too much for my healing brain to handle.  even so, i was so happy to be home.  my bed was so comfortable, my pillows, my flannel sheets, my comforter!!!
oh, but the cats!!!  they did not trying to lick my incision, but they did lay all over me.  apparently they missed me and continue to show me how much they have missed me.  i even look at the bed and they are on top of me!
when it was time to go to bed for the night i will admit i was scared to have eric in the bed with me.  more than once we have accidentally hit each other in the head or face while we slept and i was scared that he might accidentally bump into my noggin.  but he didn't!  i survived my first night at home!!

No comments: